Map Site 4: Fox Point Battery
on River Road in the Hollow. This Battery, on the bank of the river
to the west, was the fifth in a series batteries extending south from
Fort Niagara during the War of 1812.
Point was the first Battery that the British encountered on the River
Road in their march to Fort Niagara. In May of 1813, the Battery was
under the command of a Capt. Gates and contained two 12 pounder guns.
On the morning of December 19, 1813, they easily commandeered this
Battery and killed the soldiers who were at a nearby house trying
to keep warm. The British then burnt the small village of Youngstown
that contained about eight buildings clustered near the intersection
of Main and Lockport Streets and at the waterfront.